Driving in the EU, EEA from the 1st January 2021

In the event of a ‘No Deal’ Brexit, you will be required to carry a Green Card while driving your vehicle in the EU and EEA. Here’s what this means. 

‘No Deal’ Brexit explained

Following the Brexit withdrawal agreement being passed on 31st January 2020, the transition period is due to end on the 31st December 2020. 

With this deadline approaching, it’s becoming increasingly possible that the UK will leave the European Union without an agreement in place (commonly referred to as a 'No Deal' or 'Hard Brexit').

Driving in the EU from January 2021

In this scenario you will be required to carry a physical Green Card at all times whilst driving your vehicle in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. 

The Green Card is a recognised International Motor Insurance Certificate and is proof that you have motor insurance cover when driving abroad. 

Please note that, following a change to the regulations, Green Cards can now be printed in black text on plain white paper. A hard copy must be printed and carried with you when travelling abroad; an electronic version is not acceptable. 

What else will you need?

Please also note that a separate Green Card will be required if you intend to take a caravan or trailer. For some countries you may need to apply for an International Driving Permit (IDP), which can be obtained from the Post Office. 

Please be aware that all UK-registered vehicles will need to display a GB sticker on the rear of the vehicle and that you should take the vehicle log book (V5C).

If you are planning to drive abroad, please contact us at least 4 weeks prior to your departure date to allow time for your insurers to issue your Green Card.

What happens if you don’t travel with a Green Card?

If you decide to travel without a Green Card, it is highly probable you will not be allowed to cross the border or board a ferry.

If, however, you are allowed to travel and are subsequently stopped and held at the roadside because you do not have the correct paperwork, you could be fined and have your vehicle impounded. 

There is no cover under a motor policy to pay fines and release fees if impounded.

If you have any questions about the new rules and how they affect you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on 01202 874989.