Unoccupied Building Insurance

If you have a commercial property lying vacant, whether due to renovation or otherwise, it is a good idea to take out unoccupied commercial property insurance. This will help you ensure that your building and assets are covered. At Lansdowne Woodward Insurance Brokers, our experts will take the time to understand your situation and advise you on the best course of action.

To discuss a free quote for unoccupied building insurance, call our team today on 01202 874 989. We are happy to answer any enquiries.

What is covered by unoccupied building insurance?

Unoccupied commercial property insurance can cover you for a wide variety of scenarios affecting your vacant property – both short and long-term. A standard unoccupied building policy will generally restrict cover to damage caused by:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Earthquake 
  • Aircraft (known as FLEA cover).

However we have access to many markets who will offer competitive rates to include the following perils:   

  • Theft & attempted theft
  • Flood
  • Vandalism
  • Storm damage
  • Impact by vehicles
  • Escape of water or oil
  • Frost damage
  • Accidental damage
  • Falling trees

Unoccupied building insurance is available for a number of commercial building types, such as retail shops, offices, factories, warehouses, restaurants, pubs, nightclubs and more. Contact us for further information.

unoccupied building insurance

Isn’t my regular commercial property insurance policy enough?

No, all commercial property policies will have a limit on the number of days the property can be unoccupied for (typically 30), at which stage cover will either reduce or become totally invalid.

Unoccupied commercial buildings are considered a higher risk by insurers. For example, there is an increased risk of squatting and vandalism. What’s more, without frequent checks on the premises, underlying issues with the building may become worse over time and therefore more costly to rectify. For these reasons, a specialist policy is required before insurers will pay out for a claim. 

If you make a claim on your general commercial property insurance policy for a vacant building, you may encounter problems, as you could be in breach of your terms. Whilst unoccupied building insurance premiums are usually higher due to the perceived risk, having this cover will give you total peace of mind and financial support should the worst happen.

We are highly experienced when it comes to sourcing tailored unoccupied building insurance for businesses across the South and the rest of the UK. We have close ties in insurance market that allow us to source the most affordable, most comprehensive policies that match your exact requirements. Call us today on 01202 874 989 to discuss your requirements and arrange a free quote.